When he called me..I said…” wait a minute grandpa…I’ll be right back…”
A humanitarian..So noble…So selfless…So loving… So affectionate….So compassionate.. I could go on and on. He taught me the true meaning of love. No one else could have probably loved me more than him. But now…everything is just a memory…though he still continues to live in my heart…I terribly miss his warmth and affection and his smiling face. As the old saying goes…we realize the value of something only in its absence..holds good for me too.I’m no exception in this.
- · He has this habit of getting up early in the morning…say around 4..and he calls his brother after about an hour. One day it so happened that he dialed my number by mistake. So we were just talking and he asked me how I managed to get up so early. I said I was preparing for a monthly test and he wished me. Later in the evening when I called him..I said that I’d done by test remarkably well only because he’d wished me. From that day…he used to call me up every morning of my test and wish me and never once did he forget to wish me…….
- · He used to play cards with me and sis. Despite being a busy person even in his later years, he used to spend time with me and sis playing cards or taking us for a walk or even making fresh juices for us. Every weekend spent there was indeed memorable.
- · He’ll be the first one to wish us on our birthdays or on any occasion. He used to surprise us a lot , saying he wouldn’t be able to come to our house as he had a work in Perambur or somewhere…and just when we least expected him he used to turn up with that sweet smile of his.
- · I generally eat sweets, most of them..but my sis is very choosy..she eats very selected ones and ask her what she wants…she’ll say I want Mysore pa from Krishna sweets, Wheat halwa from Shree Mithai and Son pari from Haldirams. I have a special craving for Rasagullas. And every time he used to come and visit us, he used to get what we like and that too specifically for sis, from the place where she likes.
- · Even when he’s not well he makes it a point to visit us almost every Monday , just to see our faces..even if we’d visited him the previous day. Despite having a car and a two wheeler for his personal use, he comes only by bus. But when I need to go to the bakery down the street he’ll always come with the car key and ask me or rather plead me not to walk and then I’ll have to convince him to take the two wheeler instead.
- · He used to make me strong cups of tea or coffee, If by chance I happened to get up before my grandma and he used to ask me for every mouthful if the sugar was ok, if it was hot enough, or if I need more milk. …he makes yummy fruit salads and when we’re at his place, they day is never over without at least on ice cream.
- · He used to help me with crossword puzzles and he used to pacify ma and sis when we’d fight over trivial stuff.
- · He always used to advice me to believe in god and obey our parents and not to hurt anyone and not to betray anyone’s trust, something, whose importance I realize today.