I had a horrible day.

I was down with a bad cold. Three days later, just as I was getting better, I had to spend 3 hours in a meeting room and the air conditioner aggravated my cold. Since the meeting was scheduled at a location within the city, I decided to drive on my own and took my two-wheeler. Just as I was preparing to leave for the day, it started raining heavily. Yes, it was time for our monsoons, but having witnessed an almost May-like-summer for the past week, I wasn’t prepared for it. Thankfully I had an overcoat in my two-wheeler. Just when it stopped raining, I rushed to the parking spot to leave when my vehicle wouldn’t start.

Yes. I tried every little thing my dad used to do whenever the vehicle wouldn’t start. Friends and colleagues and those who passed by tried to help me, but in vain. The security told me there was a mechanic shop down the road and he asked me to take a chance. Having just one more option left (to leave the vehicle at office and pick it up later), I decided to give this a try. Hardly I’d stepped out of the gate, when it started pouring again. After waiting for another half an hour, I stepped out and was looking for the mechanic which the security told me about. I did not realize I’d been walking for half an hour on the same road, and I did not realize I was walking through a flooded avenue, I just kept walking. When my legs and head couldn’t bear it any longer, I decided to give up and turned to walk to the office, pick up my bag and take an auto when it started pouring again.

I cursed myself and kept walking, without thinking about anything. I was fully drenched and I could feel the sinus building up, the running nose set to get back to form along with the headaches that accompany cold. I walked back and the security offered to find an auto for me, which I had to refuse as I did not want him to waste more of his time than he already had and set out. After 4 auto drivers said no, and after about 10 minutes, finally one auto driver accepted to come to my area. I got in, called my mom and briefed her about what happened. It took all my will power not to cry or shout or do anything stupid and with great difficulty I calmed down. I was happy I had the option of leaving the vehicle and picking it up later, to which the security obliged.

Later, when I was at home (all pampered), I received a mail from a colleague that her survival story was published in a magazine. She was down with dengue a year back, her condition was very serious and she miraculously survived.

My mind drifted to an acquaintance, who was engaged to be married. Her mother was murdered almost a year back, and here she was moving on (with difficult, but still) with her life.

I thought about another friend, who met with a horrible accident and was scarred for life and yet she did not allow any of it to come in her way. She is now a successful professional in her field.

I’m not sure why I thought about the three of them, but they were relevant to the situation. Three people, who people would have normally expected to give up hope of living, have accepted life as it has come and have been moving on. When I compared what I went through to what they would have gone through, I felt so guilty and so ashamed. I felt guilty for being worried about something that was so trivial!

I actually had more reasons to be happy. (I had to option to leave my vehicle to pick it up later. Problem Solved)

Next time when something like this happens, I’m not going to give it another thought, or wonder why I was having a bad day. I’ll take inspiration from the three women and just keep moving on.

For all I know, I might even find another reason to be happy!

Image Courtesy : FreeDigitalPhotos